The human brain is the central organ of the human nervous system, and with the spinal cord makes up the central nervous system. The brain consists of the cerebrum, the brainstem and the cerebellum.
It controls most of the activities of the body, processing, integrating, and coordinating the information it receives from the sense organs, and making decisions as to the instructions sent to the rest of the body. Below are some interesting facts about the human brain
1. The brain doesn’t feel pain : Even though the brain processes pain signals , the brain itself does not actually feel pain.
2. Your brain has huge oxygen needs : Your brain requires 20 percent of the oxygen and calories your body needs — even though your brain only makes up two percent of your total body weight.
3. 80% of the brain is water : Instead of being relatively solid, your brain 80% water. This means that it is important that you remain properly hydrated for the sake of your mind.
4. Your brain comes out to play at night: You’d think that your brain is more active during the day, when the rest of your body is. But it’s not. Your brain is more active when you sleep.
5. Your brain operates on 10 watts of power : It’s true: The amazing computational power of your brain only requires about 10 watts of power to operate.
6. A higher I.Q. equals more dreams : The smarter you are, the more you dream. A high I.Q. can also fight mental illness . Some people even believe they are smarter in their dreams than when they are awake.
7. The brain changes shapes during puberty: Your teenage years do more than just change how you feel; the very structure of your brain changes during the teen years, and it even affects impulsive, risky behavior.
8. Your brain can store everything : Technically, your brain has the capacity to store everything you experience, see, read or hear. However, the real issue is recall — whether you can access that information.
9. Information in your brain travels at different speeds: The neurons in your brain are built differently, and information travels along them at different speeds. This is why sometimes you can recall information instantly, and sometimes it takes a little longer.
10. Men have larger brain than women, females utilises theirs more though.