Home International Dozens of ‘eligible’ young migrant kids reunited, but many more still separated

Dozens of ‘eligible’ young migrant kids reunited, but many more still separated

61
0
SHARE

The Trump administration Thursday said that all eligible migrant children under age 5 who were separated from their parents at the border were reunited with their families, but dozens more young kids remain separated including some whose parents have already been deported.

“As of this morning, the initial reunifications were completed,” HHS Secretary Alex Azar, DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a joint statement. “The Trump administration does not approach this mission lightly, and we intend to continue our good faith efforts to reunify families.”

The announcement came two days after the original court-ordered deadline to reunify the families of young kids. The Trump administration is facing a 6 p.m. Thursday deadline to convince U.S. District Court Judge Dana Sabraw that it has complied with his court order.

The Trump administration said 57 of the 103 children under age 5 were eligible to be reunited with their families under the court order issued last month.

However, the remaining 46 children weren’t eligible because their parents failed background checks or because of other logistical barriers, including deportation, officials said.

Twelve adults had been removed from the country and are still being contacted, the administration said.

Cc: Politico

Leave a Reply