The Director of Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasak Fadipe, confirmed the incident to the media agencies on Wednesday in Lagos. Fadipe said the incident occurred at about 2.48 a.m.
He said personnel of the service got to the scene of the incident as soon as they got information about the fire, but that due to the double burglary irons on the door and window of the apartment, they were unable to reach the victims in time.
Some sources said that the deceased woman was the pregnant mother of the two children and that the fire started after electricity supply was restored to the area. Others believed that the fire could have been caused by candlelight.