The Yobe State Commissioner of Education, Mohammed Lamin, has said that Government Girls’ Science and Technology College in Dapchi, Yobe State, where 110 girls disappeared after a Boko Haram attack will remain closed indefinitely.
He made this known in a statement issued to newsmen in Damaturu on Monday.
While calling for tighter security, Lamin said: “The government girls school in Dapchi has not reopened. It’s not feasible to reopen the school in the current situation.
“We still have over 100 girls that are unaccounted for. The other girls that were found are not in the right frame of mind to return to school. They are still in trauma.”
Lamin maintained that the school would remain closed “for a while, until the situation normalises and the girls are psychologically prepared to resume.”
DAILY POST recalls that Boko Haram fighters stormed the school, 100 kilometres (63 miles) northwest of Damaturu, the state capital, last Monday.
The attack revived painful memories of a similar attack on another boarding school in Chibok, in neighbouring Borno state, in April 2014, in which more than 200 girls were kidnapped.
The federal government on Sunday said 110 of the 906 students were “unaccounted for”, stopping short of confirming they had been abducted, but blaming the attack on Boko Haram.
President Muhammadu Buhari, who said in December 2015 that Boko Haram was “technically defeated”, has called the situation a “national disaster”.